20-Minute Chicken Creole
Source:Oregon State University Cooperative Extension Service
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 chicken breast (whole, skinless, boneless)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14 1/2 oz., with juice)
- 1 cup chili sauce (low sodium)
- 1 green pepper (chopped, large)
- 2 celery ribs (chopped)
- 1 onion (chopped, small)
- 2 garlic clove (minced)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon parsley (dried)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- Heat pan over medium-high heat (350 degrees in an electric skillet). Add vegetable oil and chicken and cook until no longer pink when cut (3-5 minutes).
- Reduce heat to medium (300 degrees in electric skillet).
- Add tomatoes with juice, chili sauce, green pepper, celery, onion, garlic, basil, parsley, cayenne pepper, and salt.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat to low and simmer, covered for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve over hot, cooked rice or whole wheat pasta.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2-3 hours.
Serving size: 1 cup Calories: 130 Fat: 3g Saturated fat: 0g Trans fat: 0g Carbohydrates: 19g Sugar: 7g Sodium: 230 mg Fiber: 2 g Protein: 9g Cholesterol: 20mg