Easiest way for a guy to win a date with that hot barista who always remembers his name and gives him an extra shot of espresso? Compliment her with the right words.
The Dental Care Plus Implant Centres conducted a study that asked 2,000 men and women about the best and worst compliments to give a woman.
Researchers found over 40% of women love when men compliment their smile. But if a guy wants to hit a home run?
Five words: “You look thinner than usual.”
About 43% of women in this study claimed to be incredibly focused on fat loss. They wanted other people to notice their hard work.
Other compliments included “That color makes you look great!” and “You look gorgeous.”
Of course, a guy doesn’t want to screw up the conversation. Whatever he does, he should avoid telling his would-be date she looks “tired” or “under the weather.”
And the absolute worst thing he could tell a woman? “You look well.”
“You could get into hot water for saying that someone looks like they have eaten well, or that they look quite broad around the shoulder,” researchers said.
Well, duh. And really, who uses the term “quite broad around the shoulder” anyway!?
One reason a guy is on shaky ground even when he says something nice: only about half of the women interviewed take compliments well and about 40% like to get those compliments from their partner.
Sorry guys: the decks are stacked against you before you even speak.
The takeaway here is for guys to choose their compliments well. And if all else fails, tell a woman she looks lean and sexy.
Nothing feels greater than being complimented on the hard work put into maintaining a lean physique. With swimsuit season imminent, more women and men are thinking about how to get sexy and toned.
The good news is burning fat doesn’t require hours at the gym or a near-starvation Spartan salad regimen.
You could be doing everything correctly, but if you have food intolerances your body is probably still holding on to those last stubborn pounds.
I address the top 7 highly reactive foods in The Virgin Diet. When people pull these foods, their symptoms disappear, they look and feel better, and those last 10 pounds disappear.
Beyond food sensitivities, employ these top 5 strategies for fat loss and fast metabolism so you’ll look lean and mean for beach season:
1. Swap 1- 2 meals for The Virgin Diet Shake. The Virgin Diet Shake keeps you in fat-burning mode for hours. I combine plant-based (but not soy) protein powder with unsweetened coconut or almond milk and flax or chia seeds for a fast, filling meal that saves people time, hassle, and money while helping you get in gear for beach season.
2. Follow this formula for dinner. Follow The Virgin Diet Plate with lean protein, plenty of leafy green vegetables, and some good fat. Once you get the hang of it, your combinations become endless. For instance, try wild salmon or grass-fed beef with broccoli sautéed with garlic and coconut oil. Or, a big salad loaded with avocado, chicken, and drizzled with olive oil. Date night or evening out with friends? Ask your server to swap the starch for another green vegetable. Ease and convenience are the key ideas here.
3. Get 7 – 9 hours of sleep every night. Don’t blow your healthy eating habits by staying up till 2 a.m. watching Friends reruns. Sleep helps boost fat-burning hormones like growth hormone. On the other hand, too little sleep raises the wrong hormones, including your stress hormone cortisol and your fat-storing hormone insulin. Shoot for 7 – 9 hours of quality, uninterrupted sleep every night.
4. Build muscle and burn fat in just 15 minutes. You read that right: I want you to spend more time sleeping and less time exercising. But you’ve got to do the right kind of exercise. My 4 x 4 Workout combines the two most effective ways – burst training and weight resistance – in yep, just 15 minutes. It’s fast and effective but will give you a far better fat-burning workout than an hour at the gym.
5. Stress less. Chronic stress elevates cortisol, which stores fat and breaks down muscle. If you didn’t get the message, cortisol is not your fat-loss friend. Work and life demands can take a tool on your health and peace of mind, so find a strategy to de-stress that works for you. If you can budget it, get a massage or give yourself a half-day to see a fun movie followed by a relaxing tea date with a friend. Even walking your dog around the block or taking an afternoon nap can reduce stress and keep you in fat-burning mode so you look fit and fabulous for summer.
© 2013 JJ Virgin & Associates, Inc. Celebrity Nutrition & Fitness Expert JJ Virgin helps clients lose weight fast by breaking free from food allergies. She is the bestselling author of Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy, a Huffington Post blogger, creator of the 4X4 Burst Training Workout & co-star of TLC’s Freaky Eaters. Her latest book, New York Times Bestseller The Virgin Diet: Drop 7 Foods, Lose 7 Pounds, Just 7 Days, is out now.